To my angel cake….as you celebrate your birthday tomorrow, I would like to take a moment to sit, reflect and thank God for His gift.
You are truly every mother’s dream daughter and I can’t even begin to imagine what I have done to deserve you.
I understand that you won’t be my little angel cake forever…but while your hand still fits in mine and you still call me Mommy, I will relish every second of our journey together.
Before I know it, time will come when you think that all I have to say is annoying or cheesy. But for now, while you’re still not too embarrassed to hug me like you mean it….here are 12 things I want you to remember on your 12th birthday:
- You can always talk to mommy.
- Always love your sister. Love each other. I can’t emphasize this enough, but having a sister is probably one of the best things in life. You have each other, life-long BFF.
- Write. The best coach you’ll ever have is yourself. Your thoughts are precious, write them down and read them. It will give you a better perspective about yourself and where you are at a particular time in your life.
- Don’t be a people pleaser. Period
- Don’t take yourself seriously. Learn to laugh at your own quirks.
- Keep your personal space clean. The state of your place reflects the state of your mind. It’s impossible to think straight in a cluttered room.
- Beauty is a state of mind. Love yourself at no matter what size or condition.
- Speak up. Don’t begrudge the world with your point of views.
- Nothing on social media is private.Before you post it, imagine it plastered across the billboards. Nationwide. See what I mean?
- You don’t need a significant other to be significant. I wish I’d spent less time thinking I “needed” someone. Enjoy friendships. They usually last longer, anyway.
- Rejection is part of life, and sometimes it’s a really good thing. How you handle it is the important part.
- Find one true friend. You don’t need lots of friends…one is enough to last you a lifetime.
Just remember anak, that I love you and Paopao so very much…
and as much as I wish to spare you from hardships and pain, you will have your own journey to make.
My only prayer, is that when you pass those difficult paths alone you’ll come out of it with grace and strength.
Happy Birthday, Kate.